Healthy Housecalls With Angel
How many times have I heard a patient tell me "...but my old doctor said I don't need to take supplements because you get everything you need from your food." Answer: too many times to count. Here's the truth: 1. In a 2015 survey of all 133 US medical schools with a four-year curriculum about the extent and type of required nutrition education during the 2012/13 academic year, most US medical schools (86/121, 71%) were found to be failing in providing the recommended minimum 25 hours of nutrition education; 43 (36%) provide less than half that much. Nutrition instruction is still largely confined to preclinical courses, with an average of 14.3 hours occurring in this context. Less than half of all schools report teaching any nutrition in clinical practice; practice accounts for an average of only 4.7 hours overall. Seven of the 8 schools reporting at least 40 hours of nutrition instruction provided integrated courses together with clinical practice sessions. 2. On a daily basis, the average person consumes less than half of the recommended intake of fruits and vegetables that contain the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants necessary for sufficient methylation, metabolism, detoxification and cellular energy production. 3. Food is only as nutritious as the seed it comes from and the soil it's grown in. .....and there's MORE. Tune in NOW.
Resources for Finding a CSA Near You:
- Local Harvest: http://www.localharvest.org/csa/ - LocalHarvest connects people looking for good food with the farmers who produce it. "Buying is about enjoying real food, grown yourself or purchased from people you trust. It's about developing strong local economies and producing food on a human scale. It's about eating seasonally, practicing the art of cooking, and sitting down to enjoy meals together. It requires ample local and regional producers, processors, and distributors. As we see it, the goal of the local food movement is to create thriving community-based food systems that will make high quality local food available to everyone."
- USDA Local Food Directories, CSA Directory: https://www.ams.usda.gov/local-food-directories/csas The CSA Directory lists farm or network/association of multiple farms that offer consumers regular (usually weekly) deliveries of locally-grown farm products during one or more harvest season(s) on a subscription or membership basis. Customers have access to a selected share or range of farm products offered by a single farm or group of farmers based on partial or total advance payment of a subscription or membership fee .
- USDA National Farmer's Market Directory: https://www.ams.usda.gov/local-food-directories/farmersmarkets The Farmers Market Directory lists markets that feature two or more farm vendors selling agricultural products directly to customers at a common, recurrent physical location. Maintained by the Agricultural Marketing Service, the Directory is designed to provide customers with convenient access to information about farmers market listings to include: market locations, directions, operating times, product offerings, accepted forms of payment, and more.
Resources for Understanding U.S. Organic Labelling Laws:
- Organic 101: What the USDA Organic Label Means: https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2012/03/22/organic-101-what-usda-organic-label-means
- Organic Foods: What You Need to Know: https://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-eating/organic-foods.htm
- Understanding Organic Regulations (U.S.): https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/organic
- National Organic Standards Board: https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/organic/nosb
Environmental Health: Pesticides, Toxins, GMO and Responsible Journalism:
- The Environmental Working Group: https://www.ewg.org/ The Environmental Working Group’s mission is to empower people to live healthier lives in a healthier environment. With breakthrough research and education, we drive consumer choice and civic action. "We are a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to protecting human health and the environment."
- Mother Jones Magazine: https://www.motherjones.com/environment/
- Civil Eats: https://civileats.com/about/
- YES! Magazine: https://www.yesmagazine.org/topic/environment/
- The Non-GMO Project: https://www.nongmoproject.org/
- FoodSlain Podcast: https://pod.co/food-slain
Stay Connected To Angel:
Newsletter & Mailing List, Healthy Housecalls With Angel
Get Daily Support: Join Our Membership Community: Get Fit & Functional For Life
Follow or Message Angel on LinkedIn
Follow or Message Angel on FaceBook
Get Angel's Valuable Resources:
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE SUCCESS TRACKER NOW: Creating My Success, Fit & Functional For Life Healthy Habit Tracker
ENROLL IN OUR FREE RETREAT TODAY: What area of your life needs the most attention today? Find out in this free 7-day email course and learn how radical self-compassion can help you recognize signs of burnout, reverse damage caused by stress, and restore your physical, mental, and spiritual health.
Schedule your COMPLIMENTARY Vision to Victory Coaching Session
Want to share Angel's passion for lifestyle medicine with your organization and learn how she puts mindfulness and self-compassion in action for better health? Request Angel as your next speaker/podcast or retreat guest: Connect Here